The best of both worlds
This elegant Tudor needed more space and improved traffic flow to meet its active family’s needs. The center of the house was the center of the problem. The main stairway was awkward, breaking up the living room and kitchen and forcing people to walk over the landing to get from room to room. The kitchen was claustrophobic. The living room was too small for practical use, and the back entry unusable. The master bedroom was anything but a masterpiece, the single bathroom over-burdened, and the basement laundry was dreary and impractical.
The homeowners had big dreams for their new space, and determined a budget to make it happen. With creative problem solving, perseverance, design ingenuity, and a 750-square foot addition, we successfully achieved their goals. The project included repositioning the staircase, remodeling and expanding the kitchen, creating a new family room, mudroom entry and bath, upstairs laundry, and master bedroom/bathroom suite. It required hundreds of details to ensure the design aesthetic matched the home’s character, and new spaces served their intended purpose. Committed to maintaining the home’s Mission-style details, our team of specialty craftsmen created a seamless transition between the home’s heritage and the new spaces and amenities. The family now has the extra space they wanted, in a home they love. The best of old and new provide the perfect combination.
- Re-routed and rebuilt stairway, handcrafted woodwork
- Custom woodwork throughout main floor including windows and doors to match home’s original décor
- Red oak flooring in all new spaces to match home’s original flooring
- Specialized plaster technique used to match original archways
- Spacious new family room features custom French doors, custom windows
- Mudroom area features new half-bath, slate tile flooring, and coat closet
- Open floor plan
- Custom cherry cabinets throughout
- Custom vent over stove, and “wrap” around home’s original chimney
- Three-tier cooking center with a warming drawer
- Sub-Zero refrigerator/freezer, and new appliances and fixtures throughout.
Bronz Bordeaux granite counters and vintage style lighting
Master Bedroom/Bathroom Suite:
- Custom French windows, expanded dressing room, and office space
- Walk-in shower, custom vanity, modern fixtures, custom tile
- New laundry room with all new appliances
The Transformed Tree