Decked out (and back in!)
Located just off the Minnehaha Parkway in South Minneapolis, this 1929 home had an ideal location had a less-than-optimal layout. The floor plan was choppy, storage was limited, and the appliances were woefully outdated and inefficient. The owners wanted more space, new amenities, and a layout that suited their lifestyle while retaining the home’s original warm character.
We met with the owners at length to discuss their dreams for the new space, and their daily in-home traffic patterns. Taking all factors into consideration, we designed a floor plan that created a two-story addition which included expanding the kitchen space, adding a new family room and mudroom on the first floor, and a new master bedroom/bathroom suite on the second floor. One possible obstacle in the plan: the large, attractive deck off the back of the home. We were able to remove the deck in its entirety, put it into storage through the remodeling and then put it back just as it stood, attaching it to the home’s new addition. Neighbors marveled that it’s a special homeowner who puts their deck into storage during a Minnesota winter!
Today the owners enjoy the distinct architecture of their home and its views, while also taking advantage of a much-improved layout and the creature comforts of modern living.
- New spacious family room with custom windows and wood flooring
- New mudroom and small powder room off back porch
- Custom windows throughout all new spaces
- Custom doors in all new spaces
- Open floor plan
- Custom cabinetry throughout
- All new, energy-efficient appliances
- New lighting fixtures
- Custom tile and backsplash
Master Bedroom/Bathroom Suite:
- Custom French windows, expanded dressing room, and office space
- Walk-in shower featuring dual showerheads
- Dual sink custom vanity and custom tile
The Transformed Tree